Saturday, February 26, 2011

Cream Cheese Wontons with a Twist

I did a little experiment the other night when my good friends Anna and Travis came over for dinner. I wanted to serve cream cheese wontons with my Asian chicken salad (I'll post that recipe soon :), but didn't have any wonton wrappers. However I did have puff pastry in my freezer, as I always do. They turned out yummy and fluffy with a little crunch. Who needs wonton wrappers?! :)

Start by defrosting two pastry sheets and cut them into nine pieces. 
Then stir together two 8-ounce blocks of softened cream cheese. (Set the cream cheese on the counter a few hours before you start cooking.) To the cream cheese, add one tablespoon of garlic powder, a half tablespoon of minced garlic, and two sticks of green onion.
                              
Next, carefully stretch out each square and fill them with the cream cheese mixture. Bring all of the corners up and press the edges tight. In order to "glue" the pastry to itself,  beat an egg and coat the edges of the squares before pinching the corners together. Brush the wontons with more egg then bake them on a greased piece of foil at 350° for about 25 minutes or until they are puffed up and golden.
WARNING! Make sure you have enough egg on the edges of the squares and be sure to press them together really well. A few of my wontons broke and cream cheese spilled out. They still tasted delicious, but they were not pretty :)


This recipe was for 18 squares or two pastry sheets. You can always cut the recipe in half for one pastry sheets worth.


Anna and I decided that the cream cheese mixture also makes a great spread for crackers! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment